Bible Reading: John 10:22-42
Why don’t we live all-out for Jesus? Could it be that for some reason we’re just not certain about our relationship with Him? Or, are we uncertain about what might happen to us if we really, really lived for God? You can stop worrying…God has you in His hands. No, literally…God has you in His hands.
Thoughts about God for My Grandkids:
If some crazy, rogue dictator decided to launch a nuclear attack on the United States; or, if aliens came zooming in faster than the speed of light (I don’t actually believe in aliens but it does make the story sound a little more interesting)…where would be the safest place to be in the continental United States (that’s the lower 48 states…not including Hawaii, or Alaska)? It just could be a United States Air Force Based named, Cheyenne Mountain Complex in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Construction began in the 1950s and it was completed in 1966. Using 500 tons of explosives, engineers blasted a huge cavity inside of a 9,500-foot high granite mountain. The cavity is located 2,000 feet below the top of the mountain. Let me give you some interesting details…
- The official, guarded entrance station is about 1.5 miles down the road from the actual entrance into the mountain.
- The complex was originally built to be a command and control center in a hardened facility as a Cold War (1947-1991, we were not actually at war with the Soviet Union but at times were very close to it) defensive strategy against long-range Soviet bombers, ballistic missiles, and a nuclear attack.
- The North American Air Defense Command (NORAD) is located there. Other military operations were located there, as well, including: Air Defense Command Satellite Systems, Ballistic Missile Defense Center, Combat Operations Center, and the Space Defense Operations Center. It was originally built to help military commanders survive a direct Soviet nuclear attack. If all of our other military bases were destroyed…it was intended for this one base to be able to survive and to take over command.
- It is the only mountain in the world that is known to have buildings (actually an underground city) constructed on the inside of a mountain.
- It has its own self-contained power plant, water supply, heating system, hospital, and more. It has everything NORAD needs to keep operating during DefCon 1 (the U.S. military has 5 graduated levels of readiness, or states of alert, increasing in severity from DefCon 5-least severe, to DefCon 1-most severe).
- How do you get inside? There are two, 23-ton, 3-feet-thick, steel and concrete, blast doors that were built to withstand a nuclear blast. They can be closed in 45 seconds to completely seal off the base.
- There are 15 buildings inside the mountain…located 1 mile inside the mountain from the outer opening and 2,000 feet down from the top of the mountain. Workers have to take a bus to get to the buildings.
- The office complex is made up of 13 3-story, and 2 2-story free-standing buildings that are connected by hallways and ramps. The buildings are on 1,300+ giant springs, and built 18 inches from the rock walls inside the mountain, so they can move independently if there is an earthquake or a blast. The buildings can sway as much as 8 inches on the springs.
- Not only can the complex withstand a nuclear explosion, but, it is also ready to handle an EMP or electromagnetic pulse. Navy-grade steel reflects impulses and shields the equipment inside.
- The complex was designed so that up to 800 people could survive the fall-out of a nuclear bomb.
- It includes a workout facility, spin gym, hospital, chapel, convenience store, and more.
- There are 5 lakes inside the mountain. One lake is filled with diesel fuel and is sealed behind a closed wall. The complex gets its power from the city of Colorado Springs. But if it had to be sealed off from the outside world, the diesel would be used to power underground generators that are the size of locomotives. The other four lakes are water reservoirs like you would see outside. One is used for drinking water for the complex. The other three lakes are industrial lakes.
Now, that sounds like a pretty safe place to me. But there are a couple of problems. One, if there was a nuclear attack…how would you get there? I mean…unless you are already there, there is a good chance that you would not make it there, at all. And second, if you actually did get there, you would not be allowed inside. Only certain military and government people are allowed inside. So, aside from the fact that our military would be able to launch a counter-attack from inside the mountain and hopefully protect us from further harm…it’s not going to do you, or me, much immediate good. But never-the-less, I am glad that it’s there…just in case.
Jesus was very aware of what it means to be secure. He talked about how secure His followers are in their relationship with Him. He guarantees them that it will last for eternity. Just by the fact that He calls it “eternal life” tells us that He means that it is life that will last eternally, forever, without end. But then He tells us why it will last forever…because of Who is protecting us, Who is keeping us safe, Who is securing our eternal life. He tells us that “no one can take them out of My hand”. Get the picture. Jesus has you firmly wrapped in the grasp of His hands. There you are…inside of His hands. Remember, this is the one Who overcame both life and death…and Satan. Everything that could possibly be thrown at Him…fizzled into nothing. There is nothing, not a thing, no thing…that can ever overcome Him and He says that He has you in His hands! And I thought that being inside Cheyenne Mountain was secure. That is nothing compared to being inside the hands of Jesus. Why? Have you forgotten…He made the mountain…He made the earth…He made all of creation. If He made it all…you can be pretty certain that He can control it all. But Jesus didn’t stop there…He added another source of security. He said, “no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand”. Get the picture, again. This time…see you inside the hands of Jesus…and around the hands of Jesus are the hands of God the Father. A double grip! Unbelievable! Jesus wants you to know that there is nothing that can ever destroy, or remove your relationship with Him…because both He and the Father are keeping it secure. He then says, “I and the Father are one”. In other words, God the Son (Jesus) and God the Father are working together to keep you safe for all of eternity.
Now, if that doesn’t give you courage…I don’t know what will. That means that no matter what happens here on earth, in this life…God’s got you in His hands and it will in no way affect your eternal life. So go…live loud and live large for Jesus! Don’t be afraid of anything…because there is nothing that can hurt you. He’s got you in His hands! You are safe in the hands of God the Son and God the Father.
Love you more than bunches and bunches,