Bible Reading: Luke 12:35-59
Time is so precious. Once it is gone…you never get it back. When I was young…it seemed like I would never run out of it. But now that I am older…I have come to value it more than ever.
How are you using your time? Are you living in a manner that would be pleasing to the Lord? If you realized that for the last 2 weeks Jesus had been watching you…is there anything that you would be embarrassed about? Would you need to ask Him for forgiveness for something that you did? Is there someone that you would need to ask for forgiveness?
We should live each and every day…with the thought in mind that Jesus could return tomorrow, or today, or in 10 minutes. Don’t waste another minute.
Thoughts about God for My Grandkids:
Okay, this may seem a little bit awkward, since you are still very young…but I want you to think about something with me. Someone did a survey and asked the question: “What would do if you went to the doctor and found out that you only had one month to live?” (told you it was going to be awkward). Here are some of the answers. Some are very thoughtful and some are pretty funny.
- Give away all my belongings to the less fortunate and donate all my savings to the poor and needy.
- Travel out of state to visit old friends.
- Play Frisbee with my girlfriend.
- Compliment people on the street.
- Volunteer at a Children’s hospital and homeless shelter.
- Go Bigfoot hunting for a day.
- Sell all my stuff immediately and use the money to travel the world.
- Go sky-diving.
- Go bungee jumping.
- Tell everyone, “Thank you”.
- Tell my parents that I love them and recall the specific moments they made me feel loved. Then hug them for a very, very long time.
- Tell one of my elementary school teachers how much her words meant to me and how she inspired me to do my best every day.
- Tell my friends something good that I’ve always thought about them but never said.
- Donate all my organs for research or medical use.
- Eat anything I crave.
- Forgive all those who treated me badly.
- Be constantly praying and thanking God for the life he has given me.
- See every sunrise and every sunset.
- Wake up at 5 and listen to the birds, breathe in the freshest air of the day.
- Walk on the grass barefoot.
- Make sandcastles and smell the stunning smell of the sea.
- Open my arms and face the wind and enjoy the airflow over my hands my fingertips.
- Write 10 time capsule letters for my 2 nephews that they are to open, one each year.
- Trek the Himalayas!
- Wouldn’t change a thing!
- See another doctor and get a second opinion!
Here is what I want you to do. Put a check mark in the circle next to the 5 things that you would do. And just in case something you would do is not on the list…you can write it on the blank line.
Why in the world would I ask you to do this? I mean, after all, you’re young and have your whole live ahead of you. Right? Right. And yet, that’s just the point. You have your whole life ahead of you. What are you going to do with it? It would be terrible to waste any of it?
Jesus told a story about a man who owned a business. He went on a very long vacation and left his business in the hands of his employees. They had no idea how long he was going to be gone…a month, 6 months, a year, maybe longer. He told them that they were to take care of his business as if he would be back the next day. Then he told them that they would be rewarded based on how well they were managing his business when he returned. So, they should always be ready for him to return.
The point that he was making with His disciples was that they should live their lives as if at any moment…they would have to stand before God in Heaven and give an account of their life. Don’t wait until later to do what you are supposed to be doing. Do it now. Always, live your life as if you expected Jesus to return today. If you knew that Jesus was going to return today is there anything…
- that you are doing that you would stop?
- that you should be doing that you’re not?
What are the five things that you want Jesus to find you doing when He comes back? Write them on these lines…
Okay, go do them. Start today. Jesus just might return…tomorrow! And just in case He doesn’t…don’t waste your time until He does.
Love you more than bunches and bunches,