Read thru the New Testament 2018
Thoughts about God for My Grandkids
Bible Reading: Matthew 18:1-20
Everybody wants to be first in line. To receive the annual productivity award. To be recognized in a crowd. To be famous. To be great. But, is that what God wants for us? Maybe a more important question is: What does it mean to be great from God’s perspective? Jesus says that greatness has to do with humility. Those two qualities sound antithetical, don’t they? But they’re not. At least not in God’s eyes. Humility is the quality of character that recognizes the superiority of someone else. In this case…God is superior to everyone and everything. But in day-to-day living…we should be humble towards other people. But be careful…humility is not only a characteristic that is elusive to achieve…it is even more difficult to sustain. Someone has said that humility is the one gift that you lose…the moment you realize that you have it.
Thoughts about God for My Grandkids:
Who are the most famous, or well-known people in history? Well, that’s a pretty hard question to answer.
- It could depend on when you lived in history.
- It could depend on where you live in the world.
- It could depend on how you define “famous”.
So, how would you decide? There is at least one interesting possibility…Google. Actually, Google makes more than one list of famous people. One list is the most famous people of all time, forever, who have ever lived. The people on that list are…
- Jesus Christ
- Apostle Paul
- Mahatma Ghandi
- Adolph Hitler
- William Shakespeare
- Leonardo da Vinci.
The second list includes people whose names gathered the most searches on Google in the previous year…the top-trending people searches over the past 12 months. In 2017, the top 10 people on that list were…
- Matt Lauer (he’s in trouble for mistreating women)
- Meghan Markle (an actress who became famous when she became engaged to Prince Harry of England. I wonder why Prince Harry isn’t more famous, than her?)
- Harvey Weinstein (another man who mistreated women)
- Michael Flynn (former national security adviser to President Trump)
- Kevin Spacey (another man in trouble for mistreating women)
- Bill O’Reilly (and another man in trouble for mistreating women)
- Melanie Trump (daughter of President Trump)
- Kathy Griffin (comedian that was fired for an inappropriate joke about President Trump)
- Milo Yiannopoulos (conservative political commentator)
- Gal Gadot (Israeli actress who starred as Wonder Woman)
Not everyone who was famous in 2017 was famous for good reasons.
People have done some strange things to be famous. Or, as the saying goes, to have their “15 minutes of fame”. For instance…
- A Russian model who dangled off of Dubai’s 1000-foot tall Cayan Tower with no harness, no safety net. All she held on to was a man’s hand.
- The woman who claimed that she was healed from terminal cancer by who foods and vitamins. She sold a cookbook and vitamins on her website. Eventually it was proven that she was lying and making a lot of money from her scam.
- The man who killed 10 people because he liked the idea of being well-known.
- How about the man who broke the most toilet seats with his head in one minute.
- Then there is the man who lifted the heaviest weight by one eye socket.
- Finally, there is the man who set a world record by being run over five times by a Jeep.
Who would be on your list? Who are the most famous people who have ever lived…that you could name?
Believe it, or not, one day, the disciples of Jesus asked Him how to be famous. Actually, they said, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven?” But, it kinda’ means the same thing. There must have been other people sitting around when they asked because Jesus then called a child to come to him. The little boy came to Jesus and He sat him down right next to Him. Jesus then told the crowd that you could not even enter into the kingdom of Heaven, much less be famous there, unless you became like the little boy. They must have scratched their heads and thought, “What in the world does He mean?” Jesus said, “Whoever then humbles himself as this child…” How did the child humble himself? It’s really not that hard to understand. What did the little boy do?
- When Jesus called…he came.
- And where Jesus put him…he stayed.
That is humility. Doing what Jesus tells us to do. Recognizing that He is our Lord and we are to be obedient to Him. Jesus says that greatness in Heaven (that is…greatness in God’s eyes) is not determined by what we accomplish, or who we are. But, greatness in God’s eyes is determined by how we obey.
Love you more than bunches and bunches,