Luke 13:22-30-Jesus is on His way to Jerusalem. Someone questions if many people will be saved. In response, Jesus gives us several vital details about how we are saved:
• to be saved means to be a part of the kingdom of God (:29)
• the path is narrow (:24)…meaning only one way, not many (John 14:6) that lead there
• many will try to go there, but will not make it, they will fail…1.-because they try to use a different path (they will want to be saved by their own works, through another religion, etc.); 2.-because they begin the journey, but don’t finish (“strive” means “to endeavour with strenuous zeal, strive: to obtain something”…it speaks of the fact that those that are truly saved will not only begin down the narrow path of salvation, but will continue down the narrow path their entire life, http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G75&t=KJV)
• there will come a time when the opportunity to enter in will stop (:25)…this is a frightful warning to those who think that they will wait until later to be saved, when they are ready. Jesus says that God knows their heart and their reasoning and there will come a time when He will close the door, remove the offer of salvation. Man does not dictate to God either how, or when he will be saved. God is not to be mocked.
• it isn’t enough to just listen or be a part of a “Christian crowd”. You must make a personal decision to receive Christ. How many people have been a part of a church youth group, gone to Sunday School, attended church…but never received Christ? (:26-27)
• there will be sorrow for those who do not enter (:28)…they will be “cast out”
• people from all over the world will be there (:29-30)
• your importance here does not qualify you to go there, or determine your importance there (:31).
Luke 13:31-32-Some Pharisees apparently try to scare Jesus off from coming to Jerusalem by telling Him that Herod is going to kill Him. Jesus tells them that He is going to keep on doing what He is doing…and then makes a reference to His death.
Luke 13:33-35-Jesus prophesies the destruction of the Temple…and His own second coming.
Prayer: Lord, thank you for saving me…for providing the way for me to be saved…for giving me the faith to accept Jesus. Help me now, Lord, to lead others to You.