Questions to Answer in Preparation for the Lord’s Supper
27-28. Anyone who eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Master irreverently is like part of the crowd that jeered and spit on him at his death. Is that the kind of “remembrance” you want to be part of? Examine your motives, test your heart, come to this meal in holy awe.
1 Corinthians 11:27-28 (Message)
My Relationship with God
1. Do I love God more now…than I ever have before (Matthew 22:36-38)? Is Christ real to me? Is my heart for God shrinking or growing? Am I more faithful and obedient to Him now, than ever before? Is my life totally submitted to Him?
Has there ever been a time when I was closer to God, than I am now. If so…then why?
Is God greater, more majestic in my view…do I reverence Him with more awe and wonder than ever before?
Is God the priority and driving force in my life? If not, what is? Is there anything that I value more than God?
Did I spend significant time with God in His Word (Bible), prayer, quiet time, devotions, and other spiritual disciplines this week? How much? How consistent? Am I enjoying prayer? Do I look forward to reading the Bible? Did the Bible live in me today? Is the Bible consistently shaping the way I think and live? Do I give God time to speak to me through it every day?
In what area of my life have I not been totally dependent upon God, this week? Have I lived by faith this week…or by my own ability, strength, intelligence, and ingenuity?
In what ways has God blessed me this week? Do I have a grateful heart? Have I given God appropriate thanksgiving? How have I shared these blessings with others?
Did I set spiritual goals this week? What were they? Did I achieve my spiritual goals? Have I done my 100% best in my job, school, etc.?
2. What is blocking the growth of my relationship with Christ…keeping me from becoming a mature believer?
Is my character (not just my actions) submitted to Christ? Is the fruit of the Spirit being produced in me (Galatians 5:22-23)? Am I more like Christ now, than ever before? Is the character of Christ (righteousness, holiness, love, grace, mercy, etc.) being developed in me? What is the condition of my soul?
Do I like the person I am becoming? Is God pleased with the person I am becoming?
Am I defeated in any part of my life? Is there anything that is controlling me? Any ungodly behavior that I have accepted?
What sin do I need to confess? What have I held back from God that I need to surrender? Is there anything that has dampened my zeal for Christ?
3. Did I participate in church activities, ministries, and worship this week? Have I used God’s gifts to serve Him by serving people this week? Have I faithfully served the Lord and His people this week?
Did I truly worship God on Sunday? Did that worship continue throughout the week? How so? Why not?
4. Have I given to the Lord’s work with my time, talent, and treasures? What about financially?
How did I spend my spare time? Is the pace of my life sustainable?
5. Is there any relationship with another person that is hindering my relationship with God? Did I pray for them?
My Relationships with Other People
1. What did I do to enhance my relationship with my spouse? What more can I do to make that relationship better?
2. Have I made my family a priority? Have I spent quality relationship time with my family? What noteworthy activity or deed did I do for my family? Am I giving my family only my emotional table scraps?
Has my time with technology or media displaced my time with God, family, friends, work, or my neighbors.
3. Have I shared My faith with a non-Christian this week? In what ways? How can I improve?
4. Have I demonstrated a servant’s heart? How so? What have I done for someone else this week? Whose life is better, because of me?
Have I insisted upon something that troubled my conscience…over which I wasn’t certain…but still demanded? Have I allowed my ego to control my decisions? Do I consider myself to be better than anybody I know?
Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I am? In other words, am I a hypocrite? Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying? Do I spend more time thinking about myself than about others? Do I demand from others what I do not demand of myself?
5. Have I respected and treated my classmates, co-workers and peers graciously by showing them compassion and the love of God in my words and deeds?
Did I pass on to someone else what was told to me in confidence? Have I betrayed a confidence?
Have my words to, or about, other people been more…up-lifting, encouraging, and helpful…or, demeaning, degrading, and hurtful? Have I been guilty of gossip or anger? Have I slandered someone? Have I damaged another person by my words, either behind their back, or face-to-face?
Have I talked about someone to another person…instead of going directly to that person? Have I followed the Biblical directives for settling differences and conflict?
Have I shown indifference to someone? Have I been insensitive to someone? Have I taken advantage of someone? What can I do to enhance my relationships here?
Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold resentment toward or disregard? Have I secretly wished for another’s misfortune so that I might excel? Have I been happy when someone else suffered?
Have I refused to extend forgiveness to another person? Have I refused to accept forgiveness from another person? Have I intentionally continued to remain angry toward another person?
My Relationship to the World
1. Have I committed any sexual sin? Did I look at someone lustfully? Have I kept my eyes from second glances and kept my mind from entertaining thoughts about someone (other than my spouse). Have I had any flirtatious or lustful attitudes, or tempting thoughts?
Have I been alone in a compromising situation? Did I put myself in a situation with a member of the opposite sex that could appear to be compromising, even though it may not have been?
2. Have I struggled with pornography or romance novels? Have I exposed myself to any sexually oriented material? Have I avoided images, interactions, or stories online that I knew could be seductive or titillating (but wouldn’t necessarily be considered “pornographic”).
Have I allowed TV, music, movies, books, or the internet to unduly influence me? Have I watched or listened to anything that glorifies anger, violence, abusiveness to other people, or that demeans people of the opposite sex?
3. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits? What about peer pressure? Is my life under God’s control?
4. How well am I handling my finances right now? Have my financial dealings been questionable? Have I been completely above reproach in my financial dealings? Do I pray about the money I spend? Do I tithe each week?
5. Have I fulfilled the expectations of my call to God, work, and school, by practicing excellence, and being the 100% best I can be for His glory?
My Relationship to Myself
1. How have I struggled with sin this week? Did I disobey God in anything? What are the sins that have negatively influenced my walk with God this week? What have I thought, said, or done…which I struggle with whether it is sin, or not? Is there any questionable behavior that I am trying to justify? Is there anything that I have done that I desire to keep secret from others? Have my thoughts been kept pure…as well as my actions?
2. What disappointments did I face? Did they consume my thoughts? Did I allow them to control my emotions and attitudes towards other people? What did I do about it? What can I learn?
3. Have I elevated myself over someone else for my own personal agenda? Have I told any half-truths or outright lies, putting myself in a better light to those around me…for my own benefit? What about my language and attitude? Have I been honest in all my actions and words, or do I exaggerate?
4. Have I been prideful? Been greedy? Have I been trustworthy? Stolen? Cheated? Been dishonest or manipulative?
5. Have I spoken the truth in love in all matters? Have I lied? Have I controlled my tongue?
6. How did I practice joy this week? Have I allowed any person or circumstance to rob me of my joy? Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy or distrustful? Have I struggled with anger toward God? How so? What can I do about it? Do I grumble and complain constantly?
7. Have I taken care of the temple of the Holy Spirit (my body) with appropriate rest, sleep, exercise, healthy eating, etc? What about addictions, gluttony, sex, or substance abuse? Have I been involved in any destructive behavior?
8. Have I willingly submitted to those people that God has placed in my life to hold me accountable…parents, spouse, spiritual leaders, etc.? Have I rebelled against any of these authorities?
9. What do I see as my number one need or struggle that I will have to deal with this next week?
10. Have I compromised my integrity in any way, or lied about the answers to any of the above questions?
Would the answers to any of these questions be different…if someone else who knows me very well answered them? Would they be different…if God answered them?
These questions have been compiled from several sources, including: